The Oxford Spokesman

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

The BTS on BTS

To most people, BTS is an abbreviation for ‘Behind the Scenes’ or ‘Back to School.’ But for a quickly growing population of music fans, it is the name of the Korean band that’s taking the world by musical storm. So here is the Behind the Scenes (BTS) on The Bangtan Boys (BTS in Korean).

The Bangtan Boys are a Korean boy band who debuted in 2013 and became an instant hit in their home country. It did not take long before their success spread to China, Japan, Europe, and more recently, the United States with a world tour in 2015 and another one planned for this year. The 7-member crew consists of 3 rappers and 4 singers; each of whom have a stage name that is either a nickname or a description. For example, one of the rapper’s stage name is Rap Monster, another’s is J-Hope, a nickname for the name Hobi. For those of us who are more accustomed to Western media, 7 members seems like a lot for one group. A quick briefing of how the music industry works in Korea: aspiring musicians apply to train with entertainment companies, and who, as they see fit, place these ‘trainees’ into bands that are based on certain concepts. These bands consist of multiple members (7 is average, or on the lesser end of the spectrum), and the concepts range from ‘Cute but Sexy’ (like the girl group Black Pink) to ‘Bulletproof Boy Scouts’ (BTS).

So, what makes these particular boys so special? Well, they represent the classic underdog story. The Korean industry normally favors bands that emerge from larger entertainment companies, the big 3 being SM, YG, and JYP. The company that BTS is signed to, BigHit, was not well known at all prior to the band’s debut. They were the ‘dark horse’ for the popular music industry in their region. They also are incredibly fluid within their theme. They originated by creating music that was more about high school crushes, breaking the rules, being the ‘rebels’, placed over techno-inspired beats, electric guitar, and heavy percussion. Nowadays, their lyrics talk about the pain of heartbreak and separation from friends, loving yourself, and how family can be chosen. These new themes are accompanied by piano, acoustic guitar, and more synth-inspired beats.

This new style, though it differs from their original image of their debut, is working incredibly well for them. Their album “Wings” came out late last year, and the ‘repackaged’ version dropped earlier this week. The repackage featured 3 new songs and a remake. The original album did well, but the repackage sent them flying through the international music charts, and landed them on the main iTunes Pop chart for a whole day.

So even if you don’t speak Korean, it is completely worth it to give BTS and their ‘Wings’ repackage a chance; and see what the hype is all about for this group. Who knows? You might even see them in Atlanta later this year.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “The BTS on BTS”

1. vicky on February 18th, 2017 11:48 pm

THANK YOU FOR THIS ARTICLE BANGTAN IS LIFE

[Reply]

2. jeon yuraa on February 19th, 2017 1:54 am

i hope so, i they can be best and up more and more.

[Reply]

3. Rose on February 19th, 2017 11:28 am

Wow…BTS reached your new site! This is incredible. I am an ARMY and i am very proud of the boys. This makes us happy because we know that a lot of people are giving attention to them now.

[Reply]

4. Cristi on February 21st, 2017 4:00 am

Well written article!

[Reply]

5. J4RST on February 25th, 2017 5:21 pm

I m very proud to be called as ARMY!! BTS songs they do reflect the reality that we r facing in our day to day life nd for me their songs have played a very important role in my life….I want them to become famous nd speak out loud through their songs,music or maybe their dance as well.THEY ALL HAVE WORKED HARD TO REACH AT THIS STAGE THEY R RIGHT NOW.THEY DESERVE THIS!!

[Reply]

*

• The BTS on BTS

Showcase

Television Crew Films on Oxford’s Campus

• The BTS on BTS

Entertainment

Oscars 2017: Highlights

• The BTS on BTS

Editorials

The Death Of America

• The BTS on BTS

Entertainment

Review: Hidden Figures

• The BTS on BTS

Showcase

A Viewer’s Guide to Super Bowl LI

• The BTS on BTS

Editorials

There are thousands of reasons to despair, but millions of reasons to hope

• The BTS on BTS

Editorials

Love Note to the Small Moments

• The BTS on BTS

Entertainment

Not* Just Another Teen Movie

• The BTS on BTS

Showcase

Impact of the Presidential Election On the Sports World

• The BTS on BTS

Showcase

Admin speaks at SGA meeting, unveils campus construction plans

The BTS on BTS