The Oxford Spokesman

Filed under Sports

A Look At Oxford Athletics With Coach Stubbs

This Fall has seen a lot of changes and successes for the Oxford athletic programs. Coach Roderick Stubbs, the Athletic Director and Head Men’s Basketball Coach at Oxford College, gave his thoughts on the semester and Oxford athletics as a whole.

Oxford added two varsity sports, men’s and women’s cross country and golf. In addition to these new members of the Oxford Athletic Family, Oxford gained new accolades over this season.

“In the arena of competition, both Men’s and Women’s Soccer competed well and the Women’s Tennis Team, led by Coach Pernilla Hadrin, secured another National Title in record fashion,” Coach Stubbs explained. “The Women’s Cross Country Team in their first year of varsity status won the regional championship alone with both the men’s and women’s cross country teams qualifying for nationals. We are off to a good start.”

tennis-picture-2

Even though the athletic teams have won championships and broken records this year, sports have just been a part of student life at Oxford. Coach Stubbs believes that Oxford’s “number one goal is to convey academics first… then represent Emory Oxford with both character and competitiveness in the athletic arena, and then to be leaders on campus.”

Because Oxford places such a large emphasis on academics, the varsity athletes play an equally large part in the academic and community service environment on campus. To Coach Stubbs, these other arenas are just as important as athletic performance: “Whenever I get the news that our teams are excelling academically or participating in community service events those moments make me proud. It is always great to be adding value to the Oxford campus.”

Even though the semester is coming to a close, athletics on campus have a packed Spring season ahead. Stubbs explained that “we have a good opportunity for our Men’s tennis team to three peat as National Champs. So, I’m certain that is Coach Hardin’s goal. Golf should compete well. The golf program and Coach Schiff is hosting the NJCAA Division 3 Women’s National Championship at the Chateau Elan May 14-18, which is a very nice honor and very exciting!”

We live on a small campus, and it’s easy for all of us to get caught up in classes, especially during these last few weeks of the semester. However, Stubbs encouraged students to stay involved in the other aspects of Oxford life. “We need all or more students to take time to attend and encourage their fellow classmates at the games, contests, and events.”

He described his approach to balancing the different arenas of life and the value of living a balanced life. “Though we preach academics first, life is more than just one’s academics. We believe we support other areas of life through athletics; wholesome entertainment, social interaction, relationship building, social unity, and common purpose – to make Oxford known.”

It has been a busy semester for all the students at Oxford, both academically and athletically. Things will be just as busy in the Spring as students start a new round of classes and the Spring sports look to keep up their winning streak from previous years.