The Oxford Spokesman

Filed under Student Life

A Love Letter to Oxford

Dear Oxford,

I must admit when we first met I was not very fond of you. I mean I liked your look, you seemed to have great people but there was just something about you that I couldn’t put my finger on. Maybe it was because I was still in love with my ex-high school back at home or because you were giving me opportunities to grow as a person that I wasn’t ready for yet. Needless to say, it was not love at first sight.

Yet, I admire your commitment to me Oxford. As many times as I was ready to pull the plug on our relationship and move back home, you always knew just when I needed that spark of “Oxlove.” It seemed every time I began to think seriously about breaking up with you, you knew to send a great friend, professor, class, or event my way. I appreciate your commitment Oxford because while I was clearly playing hard to get, you obviously had no problem playing the long game with me. I never loved you at first Oxford, it was not a Cory and Topanga love but rather you seemed to be my Steve Urkel, but of course like any thirty-minute sitcom, things worked out in the end.

Oxford, you have not been my first love, nor do I think you will be my last, yet there is something about this love that I know will hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it’s the people you’ve introduced me to or the ideas you’ve put in my head, but there is something exceptional about you Oxford that I can’t quite shake. While it is time for me to go Oxford, please don’t take it personally—it truly is me not you. I do hope that we can still be friends, after all you’ve introduced me to some of the best ones I’ve ever met. I promise you Oxford, no matter what happens you will always hold a special place in my heart, I mean why wouldn’t you, after all you are a very special place. So as I part ways with you Oxford, I want to send off with a thank you: thank you for teaching me values and lessons that I know no other school could, thank you for giving me a chance to be friends with my professors, thank you for introducing me to some of the most interesting and diverse group of people I have ever met, but most importantly thank you for being everything that makes you Oxford. I sure hope that you find love again Oxford, over and over again with every student you meet, but for now it is time for me to say goodbye. But to say the least, I love you Oxford—can’t say I always have, but can say I always will.

Love,

Your Grateful Student