Better late than never, Amazon today launched the native Prime Video app for macOS that allows you to both stream and download content on Mac for offline viewing. The app allows you to choose your preferred video quality, both for normal streaming and for downloads: with the “best” setting , Amazon estimates about 5.8GB of data usage per hour streaming ; for downloads, on the other hand, Amazon estimates about 2.9 GB per hour of downloaded videos.
All the contents present on Amazon Prime Video and the functions of Picture-in-Picture and AirPlay are also available , to stream to a compatible TV. Additionally, in-app purchases are supported for both rental and on-demand content purchase, as well as payment via a credit card already registered on Amazon.
- Download videos to watch them offline.
- Continue Watch your favorite movies, TV series or live events in Picture in Picture (PIP) mode while using other apps or websites.
- Buy or rent newly released movies and popular TV series (availability varies by market).
- Create personalized entertainment experiences with multiple profiles.
- Discover the backstory of movies and TV series with X access -Ray provided by iMDb.
- Watch content on iPhone and iPad by downloading the separate iOS app (requires iOS 12. 1 or later).
- Watch content on Apple TV by downloading the separate tvOS app (requires Apple TV 3rd generation or later).
Other settings include auto play, subtitle preferences, parental control and display of all other devices registered to the account. Any more in-depth handling will require logging into the Amazon site in a web browser.
On first launch, the app asks whether or not you want to receive notifications for content recommendations and other alerts. The rest of the user experience is pretty much the same as on other platforms. Oddly enough, the app cannot be put to full screen which, of course, is available for all content.
Subscribing to Prime Video via iTunes (where available), payment will be charged to iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and membership will automatically renew each month unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current plan period.
The Amazon Prime Video app is free and compatible with macOS Big Sur 11. 4 and later.