Apple, its 5G modems of the 2023 iPhones will not be integrated into the SoC


HDBlog.it

The rumors about Apple’s desire to become increasingly independent from Qualcomm regarding the supply of modems for iPhones . We have been talking for some time now about the Cupertino house project aimed at creating the modems of its smartphones in person, interrupting the long collaboration relationship with the US company. A recent report by Digitimes adds more details and new confirmations .

First reiterated as the first range of iPhones equipped with the 5G modems designed by Apple will arrive in 2023 . This means iPhones 14 may be the latest models equipped with Qualcomm 5G modems. The time window is the same as confirmed last spring by the well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

The second aspect is more unprecedented: at least initially , Apple does not plan to integrate the chip dedicated to 5G communications directly into the SoC . The modem will therefore be a separate component with respect to the future SoC of line A in arrival in 2023 (if Apple continues to follow the usual nomenclature, it should be the A 17)).

Copertura 5G, a che punto siamo davvero? La nostra esperienza in città

Mobile 09 Nov

The Taiwanese

will actually take care of the production of the custom 5G modem , respecting the directives set by Apple. TSMC . The historic partner in a couple of years should take charge of most of the supply of modems for the devices of the Cupertino house. Apple will not suddenly break off relations with Qualcomm, which however will face a sharp decline in orders: the American company plans to supply in the 2023 only the 20% of all the modem chips dedicated to Apple devices (probably the lower-end Cellular iPhones and iPads); the remainder 80% will probably be made up of proprietary modems.

This change of strategy in the production of an essential component for both iPhones and iPads, however, does not come unexpectedly. It is the fruit of a series of moves that Apple has been planning for some time, starting with the decision to acquire Intel’s modem division. At the same time, it is a piece of the larger project under which Apple wants to have more and more control over the essential hardware components of its devices. The choice of continuing to develop Apple Silicon processors in person goes in the same direction, up to definitively cutting off relations with Intel.


Back to top button