Just as Apple unveiled its latest generation iPhones , interesting things were happening on the other side of the fence, so to speak: the colleagues of xda-developers published new scoop on the next Pixel 6 Pro , and even the Nexus account re-emerged from ‘oblivion after about two years of inactivity, in what appears to be a guerrilla marketing operation (but which could also be a simple mistake, even if it seems unlikely).
THE LATEST ABOUT PIXEL 6 PRO
XDA says it received information from a anonymous source in possession of the real smartphone. By points, here’s what emerged:
- No Active Edge . It is that feature that allows you to call up the voice assistant by lightly squeezing the smartphone by the side edges. Android 12 however introduces the Quick Tap gesture, or a double tap on the back of the smartphone at any point, to which the user can assign various corresponding commands – including the Assistant startup.
- Display: 1440 p @ 120 Hz . It emerges from the screenshots of the settings section dedicated to the display. It remains to be seen if the refresh is variable, thus indicating an LTPO type panel like the one implemented in the new iPhones 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max .
- Battery Share , or reverse wireless charging that allows the smartphone to charge other devices, is present.
- Digital key . As previously mentioned, it has been further confirmed that the Pixel 6 Pro (but also the regular 6) will include a UWB radio, like several high-end smartphones from Samsung, Apple and beyond. Google seems particularly interested in using it to transform the smartphone into a digital key, especially for cars: there will be a pre-installed app for this purpose. The UWB hardware is developed by the American company Qorvo.
- Samsung modem . Seeing as the Google Tensor chip is made in collaboration with the South Korean company this is no big surprise, and XDA confirms previous rumors that the exact model will be Exynos 5123. Of course we are talking about 5G connectivity, although it is not clear which bands will be supported. mmWave should be at least in the US.
- CPU, GPU and RAM . The Google Tensor SoC has appeared in the benchmarks recently, and XDA can confirm some details on the CPU configuration: it looks like it is really organized with 2 cores at 2, 80 GHz, 2 to 2, 25 GHz and 4 to 1, 80 GHz. It is not clear which architecture each core uses. RAM is actually 12 GB, and there is a confirmation for the Mali-G GPU 78 with a frequency of 848 MHz. In the SoC the TPU (Tensor Processing Unit, dedicated to machine learning operations) is codenamed “abrolhos” and has a frequency of 1. 230 MHz.
- Camera sensors :
- Rear main: Samsung GN1 sensor from 50 MP
- Ultra Wide Rear: Sony IMX sensor 386 from 12 MP
- Rear phone: Sony IMX 586 from 48 MP
- Front: Sony IMX 663 from 12 MP
- Other hardware details :
- Battery of 5. 000 mAh
- At least one cut will be from 128 GB
- Wi-Fi 6E tri-band
- Fingerprint scanner below the Goodix display
- Cirrus Logic CS audio amplifier 35L41
- Other software details :
- The codename “slider” refers to the bootloader
- The camera may offer a new “baby mode”, the purpose of which is unknown, and an algorithm to remove motion blur.
GOOGLE NEXUS BACK IN ACTIVITIES ON TWITTER
Just as Apple introduced iPhones 13, L’ Twitter account Google Nexus said this:
I would wait for the Pixel 6
There are several reasons why it is a particular event : primarily because it is written in the first person, but above all because the account has been active for a couple of years at this point. The Nexus brand substantially disappeared in 2016, after the ‘advent of the Pixel, but the account continued tweeting until October 2017. Until July 2019 responded to requests from users who mentioned it with @, then it was made private. At the same time, in the bio there is a reference to the current account, @madebygoogle.
The above tweet was therefore only seen by the approximately one million users who still follow the history brand, which has meant so much for the Android ecosystem – especially for the most geeks and enthusiasts. We have seen that Google is proving a little more confident than in the past about its range 2021 , and therefore also intensifies the efforts on the marketing side. Already a few days ago it aired (also on TV) the first commercial, and in the UK it sponsored the TV series Highlife.