Filed under Entertainment

Post Malone Concert Gave Split Reviews

Photo Courtesy of: Leslie Martinez

Photo Courtesy of: Leslie Martinez

Photo Courtesy of: Leslie Martinez

Friday night’s Post Malone concert at the Atlanta Campus marked off the end of Homecoming Week on a high note for many Emory students. With free of charge entry, and hosting the artist of the number one hit song on the US Billboard 100, the event had an audience of at least five hundred people. The starting time for the show was scheduled at 8 PM, and students who took the opportunity to come early for good spots were able to enjoy activities at the site as well.

“There were little tents set up with temporary tattoos and photo booths for us,” said undergraduate student Myia Mansky. “It was all pretty well organized, from what we could tell when we got there.” However, some complications arose when the Student Programming Council announced that there would be a maximum capacity amount of people set to enter the area. Those who had been waiting in line for hours were outraged when they found out about this news on such a short hand notice. These responses were specifically brought to attention on the SPC’s Facebook page, most of which gave the event a one star rating for the Council’s mismanagement of the information they put out when they advertised the event on campus.

In addition to this, Post Malone showed around 10 PM, nearly two hours after the event was supposed to happen. When the event did start, people at the frontal areas began to shove and push each other for more space.

Photo Courtesy of: Lupita Castillo

“Everyone was pressing against [each other] really roughly, some people were even pushed against the metal bars in front of the stage,” said Yelissah Gabala, an undergraduate student who had arrived early to watch the show. “[Post Malone] even stopped the concert at one point to ask if everyone was okay.” Asides from these misgivings, most of the students who attended the concert enjoyed the artist’s performance overall. Among the songs included from Post Malone’s folk, rap, and hip hop blend were “Congratulations,” “Rockstar,”  and “I Fall Apart.” He also cracked a couple of self-deprecating jokes about himself while he was on stage, creating a more casual atmosphere and making the audience laugh.

“He sang while he was standing and sitting,” said undergraduate student Bella George. “Besides the fact that he’s talented, I think he’s got a pretty chill personality after hearing him talk to us during song breaks and at the start of the show.”

The show ended around 11:30 PM. Some students chose to leave early and go party it up at the Vibra Latina for the rest of the night, while others decided to call it a day and head back to the dorms. “We actually decided to stay for half of the Post Malone concert then go to the Vibra Latina party, which was also really great and had awesome music,” commented Mansky. “It was a great night overall, and I think the best way to end a long week of midterms.”