Filed under Entertainment

Everything You Missed at the AMAs

In case you did not watch the American Music Awards on November 19th, don’t worry! Here is a comprehensive review of the performances and awards given so that those interested can sound well-informed and impress all their friends with how on top of their pop culture game they are when drama inevitably arises out of the events of that night.

Tracy Ellis Ross was the host for the evening. Overall, the internet can agree that she was a phenomenal host, offering funny anecdotes about the performers and award recipients. She shared with the audience, while dressed like her mother, Diana Ross, that her and her mother are the first mother-daughter duo to host the AMAs. This would be a nice foreshadowing into a moment later on in the evening, where Diana Ross would receive the American Music Lifetime Achievement Award.

The first performance of the evening was a heartwarming duet between P!ink and Kelly Clarkson, singing “Everybody Hurts.” Multiple people speculate that the reason for the song choice was to commemorate the multiple unfortunate occurrences of 2017—the shootings, corruption in the entertainment industry, and natural disasters.

That was followed by a performance from Demi Lovato who uplifted the audience spirits with her spectacular delivery of her song “Sorry, Not Sorry.” She began by getting out of her seat in the audience, and dramatically walked up onto stage while hate tweets from her twitter feed were displayed on the big screens.

Nick Jonas performed with just a group of women behind him and some very interesting lights. Everyone and their mom loves Nick Jonas, so everyone was cool with it.

Selena Gomez, gone from the stage for a year due to an emergency kidney transplant and the ensuing recovery time, so it is safe to say that multitudes of Selena fans were looking forward to her return to the stage. However, it is also safe to say that an equal number of people were disappointed by her performance of Wolves with DJ Marshmello. The set was that of a car crash, with Selena wearing a doll-like white nightgown, with her background dancers moving in a manner resembling contortionism. The most shocking thing about her return, was the blonde hair. Selena has always been a brunette during her many years in the industry, so the blonde bob left many “shook.” Most everyone was a fan of the hair, the actual performance, but on the other hand, she left people confused and disappointed. Even Selena did not look happy to be back, her face remained so still and melancholy that she was accused of lip-syncing.

Niall also performed with a group of female backup dancers. Everyone and their mom also love Niall, so this was also cool.

Christina Aguilera was given the honor of performing the tribute to Whitney Houston. Everyone who saw it had a different opinion. Some say that she absolutely nailed it, delivering an emotional experience. Others say that something was missing, that the general vibe was ‘off.’ Either way, one person who has a very definite opinion is P!nk, who, as people noticed during the performance, had a very confused expression on her face, which the internet described as her being appalled. She shut these comments down by letting Twitter know how much she loved Christina’s performance.

In an unexpected collaboration, Khalid and Imagine Dragons took the stage together, combining the songs “Young Dumb” & “Broke with Thunder.”

Lady Gaga performed in a livestream from her concert in Washington D.C. She was also given the award for favorite female artist.

Macklemore returned to the music scene with a song called “Glorious” which he performed in a peach suit. Zedd and Alessia Ciara gave an acoustic performance of the song Stay, which they collaborated on over the summer and it took over the radio. This version may very well be the next round of this song that we hear every time we step into our cars now.

P!nk was a very influential player this Sunday night, but she ensured that her name would make headlines by doing her performance of “Beautiful Trauma” while dangling of off the 38-story high JW Marriott. She was literally singing sideways, and she delivered every note better than performers do while standing up.

BTS gave their first ever performance on an American stage, and everyone knew it (Check out my previous article on BTS). Snapchat had multiple stories dedicated to them coming to America, and even more for their rehearsals and red carpet appearance. Their set did not disappoint. Despite their song DNA being mostly in Korean, the audience was still able to sing along, and everyone viewing was enchanted by their complex dance moves.

Finally, Barack and Michelle Obama gave their love for Diana Ross by congratulating her on receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award. This was followed by an incredible performance by Diana Ross which can only be viewed to truly appreciate. It was a breathtaking experience for those who have known and loved Diana, and for the millennials who may not know her and her work as well.

All in all, this was one of the more eventful AMAs ever. I hope that this was a helpful resource in providing information on the essential events of the night.

Here is a list of the winners from billboard.com:

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Bruno Mars

NEW ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Niall Horan

COLLABORATION OF THE YEAR
Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, “Despacito”

TOUR OF THE YEAR
Coldplay

VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Bruno Mars, “That’s What I Like”

FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – POP/ROCK
Bruno Mars

FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – POP/ROCK
Lady Gaga

FAVORITE DUO OR GROUP – POP/ROCK
Imagine Dragons

FAVORITE ALBUM – POP/ROCK
Bruno Mars, 24K Magic

FAVORITE SONG – POP/ROCK

FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – COUNTRY
Keith Urban

FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – COUNTRY
Carrie Underwood

FAVORITE DUO OR GROUP – COUNTRY
Little Big Town

FAVORITE ALBUM – COUNTRY
Keith Urban, Ripcord

FAVORITE SONG – COUNTRY
Keith Urban, “Blue Ain’t Your Color

FAVORITE ARTIST – RAP/HIP-HOP
Drake — WINNER

FAVORITE ALBUM – RAP/HIP-HOP
Kendrick Lamar, DAMN. — WINNER

FAVORITE SONG – RAP/HIP-HOP
DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper & Lil Wayne, “I’m The One”

FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – SOUL/R&B
Bruno Mars

FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – SOUL/R&B
Beyonce

FAVORITE ALBUM – SOUL/R&B

Bruno Mars, 24K Magic 

FAVORITE SONG – SOUL/R&B
Bruno Mars, “That’s What I Like”

FAVORITE ARTIST – ALTERNATIVE ROCK
Linkin Park

FAVORITE ARTIST – ADULT CONTEMPORARY
Shawn Mendes

FAVORITE ARTIST – LATIN
Shakira

FAVORITE ARTIST – CONTEMPORARY INSPIRATIONAL
Lauren Daigle 

FAVORITE ARTIST – ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC (EDM)
The Chainsmokers

TOP SOUNDTRACK

Moana