The Oxford Spokesman

Filed under Student Life

Tibet Week

Even amidst hundreds of books and stressed students, it was hard to miss the vibrant sand mandala painting on the first floor of the library. This intricate pattern of colored sand was created by seven monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery in Atlanta.

This year marks the 15th annual celebration of Tibet week at Emory. Previously, the sand mandala was constructed on the Atlanta campus, but this year the event took place at Oxford. The monks began constructing the mandala on Monday, February 20 and dismantled it during a closing ceremony on Friday, February 24.

Despite four days of tedious work, the monks erase the sand mandala to demonstrate impermanence. They believe that beauty is only temporary and that the sand mandala process purifies and solidifies their emotions and attachments in life.

Students were able to attended a lecture titled “Symbolism of the Sand Mandala in Buddhism on Thursday, February 23. His Eminence Gonsa Rinpoche, with translation by Geshe Nyima Tsering, spoke to students about the meaning behind the mandala. He explained that the mandala is like a map to one’s destination because it makes you think deeply and question superficial beauty.

The monks’ appearance was sponsored by the Pierce Program in Religion. They are currently traveling with the Mystical Arts of Tibet tour in order to promote peace around the world.