The Definitive Guide to Oxford Bathrooms

A+bathroom+from+second+floor+Fleming%3A+did+not+make+the+cut.+
A bathroom from second floor Fleming: did not make the cut.

Tommy Kreutz

Tommy Kreutz

Eric Maddigan, Staff Writer

Oxford is a relatively small campus, which comes with many benefits. One of these benefits is that, no matter where you are on campus, you are always within a five minute walk of a clean, secluded bathroom. Oxford is filled with modern, quiet bathrooms, as well as bathrooms that are unique. This is the guide to help students find the most fulfilling restrooms on campus.

Before going through the list of the wonderful and the weird, a thank you is required to Oxford’s custodial staff, who work night and day to make sure all bathrooms are clean and well-supplied. With that, let’s go into the list.

Most Modern Bathroom:

Oxford Science Building, 1st Floor

This bathroom has easily the most modern conveniences in a bathroom on campus. Automatic sinks, soap dispensers, and paper towel machines are all here. If one is trying to avoid a bathroom that looks like it was built in the Stone Age, this is the place to go. However, due to the large nature of the Science Building, a sacrifice of seclusiveness is required.

Weirdest Bathroom:

Candler Hall, 1st Floor

This bathroom is just plain weird. The bathroom is located directly to the right of the entrance, where access is granted through a small path between a marble wall and a stairwell. Once inside you close the door and it is just a sink, a mirror, a window – nothing else. It is only when you walk to the end of the room that you see a cut out, a single toilet behind a bolted door. The room is shaped in an L, and the toilet’s position is directly under the stairwell, similar to where Harry Potter slept before Hogwarts. While the bathroom itself is quite large, it is also dark, with just one light to cover the whole room. Overall, some may appreciate the size, seclusiveness, or just plain weirdness of the room, but the archaic layout and darkness keep it from ranking with the best bathrooms on campus.

Most Peaceful Bathroom:

Dining Hall

There is one thing that this bathroom has that so few others have: natural light. Nothing feels more peaceful than going to a restroom with tons of natural light coming through the windows. Most bathrooms have artificial and bright lights that can give headaches. Combine the tranquility from natural light with the modernity of the space, and the dining hall has one of the best bathrooms on campus.

Most Secluded Bathroom:

Library, 1st Floor

Few things are worse than using the restroom while also hearing multiple loud conversations outside the door. This annoyance is almost completely avoided with the bathroom in the back of the library. Since most students in the library are studying, the library is already quiet at most hours. Additionally, since the bathroom is located in the back, away from most students, it’s almost a guarantee to enjoy a silent, personal trip to the restroom in the bathroom in the library.

Best Overall Bathroom:

Language Hall, 2nd Floor

This bathroom has it all. Secluded? Check. Clean? Modern? Large? Check, check, and check. To make it even better, it’s a single-person bathroom as well, so there is no need to worry about people looking at you through the crack in the stall to see if anyone is there. This bathroom is quiet at nearly all hours, and it offers conveniences found in modern bathrooms and older bathrooms. This is a large, secluded, and clean facility that is located in a place where relatively few students mill about. Though many bathrooms, due to Oxford College’s staff and their continuous upkeep, have their reasons for being the best bathroom at Oxford, the bathroom on the 2nd Floor of Language Hall takes the cake.